Little Sable Point Lighthouse at the Silver Lake State Park
LITTLE SABLE POINT LIGHTHOUSE TOUR HOURS
The Sable Points Lighthouse Keepers Association maintains the lighthouse, and it is open for tours daily from 10am-5pm late May 22 through September 30, 2015. There is a $5 donation fee to climb the lighthouse tower; $2 for children 11 & under. Due to weather conditions and staffing, it may be wise to call ahead at (231) 845-7343, or visit www.splka.org for more information.
DIRECTIONS TO LITTLE SABLE POINT LIGHTHOUSE
Take US-31 to the Hart exit, take Polk Road, west to 56th, south on Fox, west to 34th, south to the Silver Lake Sand Dunes, through Silver Lake past the State Park, then follow signs to the lighthouse.
New to the park is a ten foot wide paved pathway that leads from the parking lot to the lighthouse. This now allows those with physical disabilities and those in wheelchairs to access the base of the lighthouse.
LITTLE SABLE POINT LIGHTHOUSE HISTORY & FACTS
Originally named Petite Pointe Au Sable, it cost $35,000 to build and contained 3 rooms. The rare third order Fresnel lens emitted a constant white light, and flashed a brighter light at set intervals, visible 19 miles into Lake Michigan.
The early 1900s saw some changes to the lighthouse. In 1900 the tower was painted white, and an access road and storage building were added in 1902. The name was changed in 1910 to Little Sable Point Lighthouse, meaning "little point of sand," representing its location which juts into Lake Michigan. In 1977, the tower paint was removed and the original brick exposed.
Over the years, the lighthouse has had 15 keepers; and for one month, a woman took over when the original keeper took a temporary leave. The Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers Association took over the maintenance of the lighthouse in 2005, and it is open to the public from late May to late September.
Located on Little Sable Point (Lake Michigan) in Silver Lake State Park, near Mears, Michigan. Go to the end of Silver Lake Road look for the lighthouse parking lot. This is an excellent swimming beach and Lake Michigan produces some great sunsets. The parking lot has close to 200 spaces but during nice weather will most likely be filled by beach users.
The Little Sable Point Lighthouse is part of a Michigan State Park, and an entrance fee is required. Part of the fee helps preserve the lighthouse.
More Silver Lake Sand Dunes Info...
Discover More Lake Michigan Lighthouses...
- West Michigan Lighthouses
- Northwest Michigan Lighthouses
- Northern Michigan Lighthouses
- Wisconsin Lighthouses
Ludington's North Breakwater Light -- Walk the half-mile long pier to West Michigan's most popular lighthouse.
North Pierhead Lighthouse in Manistee -- At the Manistee beach.
Little Sable Point Lighthouse -- Located at the Silver Lake Sand Dunes.
Big Sable Point Lighthouse -- Located in the Ludington State Park.
Pentwater Pier Head Lights -- At the channel to Pentwater Lake.
Grand Haven Lighthouse -- The Grand Haven lighthouse is at the mouth of the Grand River.
White River Light Station in Whitehall -- Operated by the Sable Point Lighthouse Keepers.
Grand Traverse Light Station -- Located on the tip of the Leelanau Peninsula in Northern Michigan, The Grand Traverse Light was established in 1852.
Point Betsie Light Station -- Nestled in a dune just south of Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore, the tower stands 39 feet tall, but with the height of the dune it towers 52 feet above Lake Michigan.
Harbor Point Lighthouse -- Located in Harbor Springs in Northern Michigan.
McGulpin Point Lighthouse -- This lighthouse is located in the Straits of Mackinac at Mackinaw City.
Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse -- Old Mackinac Point Lighthouse is in Mackinaw City.
Manitowoc North Breakwater - Walk out to the end of the pier to this Manitowoc lighthouse, and wave to the carferry S.S. Badger as the ship passes by.
Algoma North Pierhead - This lighthouse can be seen all along the Crescent Beach Boardwalk and is accessible via the pier if you want to venture closer.
Kewaunee Pierhead Lighthouse - Located in Kewaunee, Wisconsin...halfway between Sturgeon Bay and Manitowoc along Lake Michigan.